What are the differences (if any?), limitations, restriction of the cloud based ABBY OCR SDK/API vs the on premise edition, where you need to install the Assembly/Automation locally on the PC that need to perform a scan.

What about performances ? I would have guessed that loading a local library would be more efficient than invoking a service on the cloud (since it involve loading a document on the internet and getting a result)

asked 04 Oct '12, 13:18

TarekDemiati's gravatar image

TarekDemiati

edited 19 Feb '16, 23:45

Oksana%20Serdyuk's gravatar image

Oksana Serdyuk ♦♦
1.5k16

Cloud OCR SDK only does OCR, you'll have to scan and upload images by software that runs on premises.

OCR is rather CPU-intensive, so time needed to upload the image and download the result is only a fraction of time needed to do OCR. Yes, it will add an extra delay, but most of the time it won't be that significant.

When using cloud based services the number one problem you will face is legal one. If you process documents with private, government or otherwise sensitive data you might be bound by local and international laws that would prohibit you from uploading the data into cloud because essentially you have no direct control over the cloud.

link

answered 04 Oct '12, 14:29

Dmitry%20Me's gravatar image

Dmitry Me ♦♦

As to API, they are very different between Cloud OCR SDK and tradition SDK (which is ABBYY FineReader Engine). On-premise edition offers much more detailed and developed API with full control over each processing stage. Cloud only offers small subset of most useful things.

link

answered 04 Oct '12, 15:17

Andrey%20Isaev's gravatar image

Andrey Isaev ♦♦

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×160

Asked: 04 Oct '12, 13:18

Seen: 2,248 times

Last updated: 19 Feb '16, 23:45

© 2016 ABBYY. All rights Reserved. www.ABBYY.com | Privacy Policy | Legal