Hello,

I'm wondering if there is some difference between scanning documents (invoices in my case) to a grayscale or color at the same dpi?

Let`s assume that I scan the same invoice to 300 dpi grayscale and to 300 dpi color PNG. For the ABBYY cloud OCR - there is some difference or not?

Do ABBYY analyze the "colors" or simply converts color images to grayscale? Do the 300 dpi color will produce the better results that 300 dpi grayscale?

For me it is a "practical" question, because the color scanning produce bigger files and is more time consuming operation.

Many thanks, Vitalie

asked 04 Jun '15, 12:37

Vitalie's gravatar image

Vitalie

ABBYY Technologies use color information for detecting areas and objects on the image. So, if complex layouts have to be processed, it is recommend to use color or at least, grayscale images. The character recognition is always executed on a bitonal image that contains only black & white. Also please review our document scanning tips.

In the most cases, using the grayscale mode during document scanning is the most optimal to achieve the best recognition and time-consuming results.

link

answered 04 Jun '15, 16:29

Oksana%20Serdyuk's gravatar image

Oksana Serdyuk ♦♦
1.5k16

Thanks a lot, Oksana. Now I know how to optimize my process.

(04 Jun '15, 17:58) Vitalie
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×106
×4
×3
×2
×1

Asked: 04 Jun '15, 12:37

Seen: 2,049 times

Last updated: 04 Jun '15, 17:58

© 2016 ABBYY. All rights Reserved. www.ABBYY.com | Privacy Policy | Legal