OCR SDK versus FineReader Engine

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 18 May 2012
stephenab posted this 18 May 2012

I am trying to compare the OCR SDK with the FineReader Engine. I know there are differences for licensing and setup, but right now I am only concerned with quality/flexibility.

Are there lots of options available in the FineReader Engine that are not available in the OCR SDK? Will the FineReader Engine generally produce higher-quality results, assuming I use it properly? I can't find any documentation for the FineReader Engine itself (I assume I have to start a trial to get it), so it is difficult to make the comparison.

Ivan Hintsitskiy posted this 18 May 2012

FineReader Engine has a bigger set of tuning options compared to Cloud SDK. For example, using Engine you can specify your own dictionaries for recognition, you can get detailed information about recognition variants, you can setup advanced export parameters like encryption for created PDFs and so on. Engine has dozens of options, Cloud SDK provides access only to most useful of them.

Cloud SDK is already using the best Engine's settings for general images, but in some cases it is possible to achieve better recognition results using FineReader Engine by tuning it according to you image source. For example you may set up а specific dictionary, or apply image preprocessing filters, or tell recognizer that there is no italic. This is not a simple task and requires a lot of testing.

• Liked by
  • Vasily Panferov
  • Andrey Isaev
Close