Archival of complex book scans with FineReader

• Topic Is Locked
  • Last Post 28 June 2016
Luc Miral posted this 27 June 2016

Hello everyone, first time poster

I recently received a huge pile of book scans in the form of big, complex, pictures-rich pdfs with background textures (parchment/old paper), very difficult to work with. The task I have been given is that I am supposed to add a layer of invisible, searchable text to each of these pdfs, but without touching or loosing any quality in the underlaying document. I have been struggling with the settings of my FineReader 10 for a few hours, searching for existing answers, but no luck so far, the pdfs I end up with are either degraded, or with the text inserted visually in the document.

Is there anything I can do knowing that :

• I have FineReader 10, but I can upgrade to 12 if necessary

• time is not an issue, I can spend a lot of time correcting ocr mistakes and changing text zones, although I still don't know how to simply add a blank text zone and put my own text in it...

• The documents are perfectly fine to read and look good to the eye, but the resolution is actually just low enough that a few sentences are missed in the more complex parts of the books.

Basically, I want to just make the pdfs searchable without touching the actual content, is that even possible ? Thanks for your time

Oksana Serdyuk posted this 28 June 2016

Your question is related to ABBYY FineReader desktop product. This forum is for ABBYY SDK products only, so I would recommend you to send several image samples to your region support team, so that they can test them in the current version of the program and will try to adjust necessary processing settings. All ABBYY contacts are available here: https://www.abbyy.com/contacts/

Topic Is Locked

Close