OMR design recommendation

• Last Post 23 August 2018
chooyin posted this 31 January 2017

Hi,

Do you have any OMR design guideline or recommendation ie: check box size, width, height, gap between boxes/ circles, gap between group, line should not be shaded etc, what is the optimum OMR design for Abbyy OMR recognition?

Thank You

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Oksana S. posted this 01 February 2017

Could you please specify what ABBYY product do you use?

chooyin posted this 01 February 2017

ABBYY FineReader Engine 11

Oksana S. posted this 06 February 2017

Hi, sorry for my long silence.

There is no a ready OMR design guideline, but as far as I know, for proper checkmark recognition in ABBYY technologies the following recommendations exist:

1. The recommended field sizes are 3.5x3.5 mm, 4x4 mm, 4.5x4.5 mm or 5x5 mm (if circular checkmark fields are used, they must fit into squares of recommended sizes).
  2. The recommended line width for square checkmark field borders is from 0.4 mm up to 0.8 mm (irrespective of the size of the field).
  3. The recommended distance from the checkmark field to the field text should be from 2 mm up to 7 mm.

Also please review the Developer's Help → Guided Tour → Advanced Techniques → Recognizing Checkmarks to know the peculiarities of OMR in FineReader Engine.

Hope this will be helpful!

Rama Reddy posted this 23 August 2018

Hi,

I am using ABBY Fine reader 12. Can suggest me what process i can fallow to recognize check boxes properly?

Helen Osetrova posted this 23 August 2018

Hi Rama,

Please consult the corresponded topic: https://forum.ocrsdk.com/thread/check-box-in-abby-fine-reader/

Close